Of all the animal rights organisations I hold with love and respect in my heart, I have perhaps the softest spot for People For The Ethical Treatment of Animals.
They walk an uncompromising line between fearless, unapologetically truthful and incredibly effective.
This conversation was an absolute joy. PETA’s Senior Vice President Kathy Guillermo and I discuss some of the vital work to end animal exploitation that she has been most deeply involved in for the past 30 years.
Kathy also shares just how adaptable PETA was for a working mum, before that was common place and expected.
Please enjoy this conversation with Kathy Guillermo about PETA’s Work to End Animal Exploitation.
In this conversation we cover:
- Kathy’s work behind the scenes. What has she learnt that will benefit other activists in getting the best possible outcomes and the best possible media coverage.
- Has the PETA approach changed much over Kathy’s30+ year career?
- How does PETA walk the fine line between sharing happy, good news stories and shining a light on the horrific truth we need to know that ALSO causes some people to turn away.
- Kathy’s work life at PETA and especially how the organisation was ahead of its time in being adaptable for her as a working mom.
- Kathy’s recommendations for how and when we can most effectively share the truth with young children so far as how animals are treated in our speciesist society.
- PETA’s fight to end the barbaric horse racing industry.
- How is public opinion changing so far as using animals for entertainment?
- We have effective alternatives to animal testing. Why do we keep testing on animals?
- When PETA started campaigning against testing on animals for beauty the list of cruelty free cosmetics was 12 long. It now extends to 6,000 companies and brands worldwide.
- PETA’s work to end the use of monkeys in experiments.
- The importance of whistleblowers.
One of the things I love most about this podcast is when I get to speak to someone I have enormous respect for and they turn up and exceed my high expectations.
Kathy certainly did that with calm, strength and power. Her advice to push yourself and be brave in relation to activism opportunities echoed the words of PETA co-founder Ingrid Newkirk who I interviewed back in E638. I know I can get better at this.
Our days are filled with activism opportunities. The skill is in mastering a calm, respectful and effective approach.
To connect with Kathy and delve into all the ways to support PETA and end animal exploitation I will have you linked up in the show notes below.95% of new drugs that appear effective and safe when they’re tested on animals fail in human clinical trials. Kathy Guillermo @peta Click To Tweet
Also via the main website, https://www.peta.org/
PETA’s website for kids, https://www.petakids.com/
Kathy urged us to learn more about PETA’s work to end the use of monkeys in experiments via PETA.org
That’s it for this week in Healthification.
However, have you checked out my Plant Positive Journal yet?
I am so very proud of this stunning journal. There is now also a fillable PDF version available for immediate download so wherever you are in the world you can still get Plant Positive with me!
If you are plant-based curious. Or already vegan and need a healthier approach to the lifestyle.
In this daily journal you will learn how to consistently prioritise food, exercise and other healthy habits that build on each other to have a compounding and lasting effect.
To help you create a BODY and LIFE you LOVE by successfully managing your TIME and your MIND.
It makes a great gift to YOU!
Or, for the loved one who is plant-based curious or who has been a valuable vegan ally to you.
You can check out the printed version HERE:
Plus, the fillable PDF HERE:
Importantly, the journal follows a twelve month format however is not dated so it is perfect to use at ANY time of the year.
With love and gratitude plant friends.
If you liked “Kathy Guillermo and PETA’s Work to End Animal Exploitation.” you’ll also like 638: PETA’s Ingrid Newkirk | Animals Are Not Ours To Experiment On, Eat, Wear, Use For Entertainment or Abuse In Any Other Way.
If you liked “Kathy Guillermo and PETA’s Work to End Animal Exploitation.” you’ll also like E622: Theodora Capaldo and Why Non-animal Testing Methods Are Superior On All Fronts.
If you liked “Kathy Guillermo and PETA’s Work to End Animal Exploitation.” you’ll also like PETA’s Aleesha Naxakis and Stopping The Victorian Kangaroo Processing Facility.
If you liked “Kathy Guillermo and PETA’s Work to End Animal Exploitation.” you’ll also like Animals Australia’s Live Export Investigations with Shatha Hamade.
If you liked “Kathy Guillermo and PETA’s Work to End Animal Exploitation.” you’ll also like Hogwood: A Modern Horror Story with Viva!’s Juliet Gellatley.
If you liked “Kathy Guillermo and PETA’s Work to End Animal Exploitation.” you’ll also like Jill Robinson and Animals Asia’s Work To End Bear Bile Farming.