Where to start with today’s guest?! Chris MacAskill of Plant Chompers is a master at making the science-based benefits of a plant dominant diet both informative and entertaining.
There is so much more to this humble Geophysicist though. Chris is co-founder of the premium photo sharing site, SmugMug. Previously, he also co-founded Fatbrain, an online bookseller which sold to Barnes & Noble.
As we will discuss today, Chris worked for Steve Jobs at NeXT, where he learnt, your difference can be your superpower.
I am grateful Chris is turning his superpower towards debunking some of the seductive yet non-science based content flooding the internet – such as Carnivore and Keto diets.
If we are to have any hope in solving the problem of our cruel and broken food system we need more scientists that busy people find both compelling to watch and easy to understand.
Please enjoy this wide ranging conversation on, The Science-Based Benefits of a Plant Dominant Diet with Chris MacAskill of Plant Chompers.
In this conversation we cover:
- How the adversity and eventually the kindness Chris experienced in his childhood were formative in helping him become the person he is today.
- Why Chris had such an aversion to Shakespeare and how it impacted his academic studies.
- How Chris’s love for a girl called Toni – who was to become his wife – lead him to give college another try.
- Some of the lessons Chris learnt, good and bad, from working with Steve Jobs.
- Your difference can be Your Superpower.
- What individuals need to know about the marketing, money and lack of transparency that is poured into encouraging consumers to make poor food choices.
- Hype-palatable food. This isn’t just processed fake foods, cows are being bred to have more fat.
- Chris’s youtube channel: Plant Chompers and his commitment to spreading science-based, myth debunking content on the benefits of a plant-dominant diet.
- Chris’s experience with Foster farms back in 1984. What was he testing? What did he see and how did it impact him?
- Chris has come full circle, back to Geophysics and food systems. He is dedicating the rest of his life to helping solve the problem of our broken food system.
There was so much we didn’t get to however I guess that just means we need to spend some time on Plant Chompers via YouTube.
I will have you all linked up to everything Chris MacAskill and Plant Chompers in the show notes. Just cruise to strongbodygreenplanet.com and search 835.
Listen to Chris’s TEDx talks: One simple change to save our forests | Chris MacAskill | TEDxBoston
That’s it for this week in Healthification.
However, have you checked out my Plant Positive Journal yet?
I am so very proud of this stunning journal. There is now also a fillable PDF version available for immediate download so wherever you are in the world you can still get Plant Positive with me!
If you are plant-based curious. Or already vegan and need a healthier approach to the lifestyle.
In this daily journal you will learn how to consistently prioritise food, exercise and other healthy habits that build on each other to have a compounding and lasting effect.
To help you create a BODY and LIFE you LOVE by successfully managing your TIME and your MIND.
It makes a great gift to YOU!
Or, for the loved one who is plant-based curious or who has been a valuable vegan ally to you.
You can check out the printed version HERE:
Plus, the fillable PDF HERE:
Importantly, the journal follows a twelve month format however is not dated so it is perfect to use at ANY time of the year.
With love and gratitude plant friends.
If you liked “The Science-Based Benefits of a Plant Dominant Diet with Chris MacAskill of Plant Chompers.” you’ll also like Dr Sailesh Rao, Healing The Earth’s Climate and Creating A Vegan World 2026.
If you liked “The Science-Based Benefits of a Plant Dominant Diet with Chris MacAskill of Plant Chompers.” you’ll also like E643: Why Joe Rogan Will Become Vegan (Busting The Meathead Myths)
If you liked “The Science-Based Benefits of a Plant Dominant Diet with Chris MacAskill of Plant Chompers.” you’ll also like Tofurky and Creating Delicious Plant Food While Focusing on Purpose Over Profits with Seth Tibbott.