Podcast: Play in new window | Download
I’m often met with a bemused-annoyed-slightly-hostile look when I talk about fat loss being simple. To clarify, I’ll stand behind SIMPLE 100% however please don’t confuse that with EASY!
In todays weigh-in show I’d like to focus on: 9 Steps To Make Fat Loss Simple. Natural. Sustainable.
As I learnt a few years ago – a little more slowly than I would have liked – the chick who’s chases too many goals does not get to achieve any of them. At least not to the extent she would like!
Now although I’m referring primarily to business. It’s the same for fat loss and body gain.
Once you realize fat loss is difficult, then it becomes simple.
The actions you need to take might be difficult to do as consistently as is necessary, however they are simple.
You may or may not be familiar with the 3 principles that guide a lot of the decisions I make.
- FUEL (everything food)
- MOVE (everything exercise)
- LIFE (everything time) Life = Time. Time = Life.
First up let’s apply ‘less is more’ to Fuel. Beyond the obvious (!) as I actually recommend a lot of my clients eat MORE FUEL. Just better quality.
3 steps to simplify FUEL for Fat Loss:
- Eat primarily 1 Ingredient Foods.
Veggies. Fruit. Eggs. Lean Meat. Fish. Nuts. Seeds. Oats. Beans.
- Know your danger times/situations and have a plan ready. Preferably 2 plans!
This will simplify your decisions and combat poor choices triggered by emotions, social situation, convenience.
- Aim to have the majority of your meals follow the Ritual Eating Format 5-6 days a week.For at least 4-6 weeks eat the same thing for each meal. Yes, breakfast is different to lunch which is different to dinner… however, breakie today and breakie tomorrow vary only slightly. Most people who eat clean food long term without feeling restricted have found what works best for them, in terms of results AND enjoyment factor and they eat a lot of similar meals.
I’m not saying eat exactly the same thing day in day out. I’m simply recommending settling on what works and giving yourself less opportunity to make a poor nutritional decision.
Moving on and how about less movement, More Fat Loss?
That would be too good to be true! I’ll come close though… 3 steps to simplify MOVE for Fat Loss:
- Work at a higher intensity for less time to get leaner faster.
In an industry where it’s possible to find the facts and studies to support and then dispute almost every theory… this one is near undisputed. Your metabolism will stay elevated for up to 48 hours after an intense work-out such as Metabolic Resistance Training. MRT incorporates circuit style lifting and body weight exercises with little rest. Do it!
- The less decisions you have to make in keeping to your training plan the more easily you’ll stick to it. For example Monday to Saturday = Move. Sunday = Rest. Simple. 🙂
- Prioritise big high-value-for-your-fat-burning-buck compound movements in your Metabolic Resistance Training.Those moves like squats, lunges, dead-lifts, chin-ups, barbell and dumbbell rows and presses that take a while to learn because they require great technique and core strength however they will never go out of fashion in the delivering a result stacks!
Finally Simplifying ‘Life’ for Fat Loss… 3 steps to simplify LIFE for Fat Loss:
- Chasing the next best thing whether with fat loss, marketing, or whateverwill result in you starting a lot and finishing nothing. Frustrating. With so many choices, find someONE you respect – Who Already Has The Results You’re Seeking – and model them until you have those same results. One. Person. For each area you’re looking to improve.
- The same applies to your fat loss goal. One. Goal. Get undeniably clear on what specifically you want, why you want it, and most importantly the price you’re willing to pay to get it. And….Do it! Ok, maybe it’s not ‘Nike’ easy… so here’s something to implement. Once you’re clear on That One Goal make sure that you do something every single dayto bring you closer to that goal before you do anything else. This one simple rule is insanely effective.
- The thing that without doubt is most effective at simplifying my life– the thing that makes fat loss (when I choose it) and maintenance (most of the time)…Simple. Natural. Sustainable. Is my love of rules. As long as I’m the one making them (!) I LOVE RULES.
Rules let me know what I need to do when to achieve the result I want. I don’t need to think – “will I get away with eating this now?” and I don’t Ever waste energy feeling guilty about something I ate or some training I didn’t do.
Here’s the thing, I get that everything here is easy to do in the areas you’re already excelling in.
The challenge is to be able to apply what’s working in the areas of your (my!) life that we’re happy with to the areas that we want to improve. That is my personal goal and also my personal challenge to you.
To get actionable today: Which is the area of your approach to body gain that you would benefit from simplifying?
Is it FUEL? MOVE? LIFE?
I’ve given your ‘3’ steps for each however I’d love for you to implement just one as a start this week.
That’s it for today. In tomorrows Thursday Training show I cover: New To The Gym? (7 Considerations). I hope you can join me.
If you liked this you’ll also like: Smart Simple Weight Loss
If you’re yet to share the Healthification love – just click here to zip over to iTunes and leave an honest rating and review. It’d help me out big time. With gratitude, Kate.