Generally I look forward to my training sessions… I’m excited to train, even to the point where my clients will call me weird. Mad. Bonkers. I’m sure they say it with love though… 🙂
I feel grateful that I can train and appreciate that’s it’s fairly self-indulgent ‘me time.’ From time to time, though we all have those days when we’re really not up for it.
Sometimes you’ll feel tired, sick, stressed and way-too-busy for your training session… those old excuses that have previously kept your from achieving your health goal will start to play.
Your awesome ability to reason yourself OUT of exercise will kick-in… and this is the time to out-plan and out-smart those old excuses. Today I’m sharing:
Why Struggle-Street Is Your Most Important Training Session This Week.
Maybe ‘struggle-street’ shows up fairly frequently for you – I can tell you it does get easier and that’s the topic for tomorrows FAQ show however today let’s get strategic on how to beat struggle-street.
First though let me paint a scenario, this time last week I’d had 4 and a half hours sleep as I had just attended an awesome evening networking event on the other side on town… it’s always a late night followed by my normal early start and to say that squeezing in a training session in my short break that morning was not very appealing is an understatement.
A HUGE soy latte and several freshly baked cape-seed rolls were super appealing… however they don’t get me the results I want… and as much as I can reason myself into a lot, I can’t reason myself into that!
So I trained.
Despite the frequency with which I get told “you’re so lucky you love exercising” and “you’re so lucky you have time to exercise” my Love and my Time are 100% a result of my focus and my priorities.
On the ‘Love’ front, I choose not to focus on the stuff that is unappealing to me about training. I make a really conscious effort to focus on only the good bits, for example:
=> The results.
=> The energy I have after I’ve finished.
=> Knowing I’m practicing what I preach and living with integrity.
On the ‘Time’ front, I have a ‘Not To Do’ list… AND a clear understanding of what really belongs on my ‘To Do’ list.
If you’re not in the consistent routine you would like to be with your exercise and nutrition how about putting together a not to do list? It comes first because it ‘buys’ you the time to make your to do list happen.
Back to that fairly uninspiring work-out… although it was not so fun as I know you’ve heard I didn’t ever once think “WOW, I regret that work-out!”
I guarantee you won’t ever think that either because:
1. When you fire up and push yourself through a ‘struggle-street’ work-out it makes it that much easier to train again the next time… as opposed to a whole lot tougher.
2. Sticking to your commitment to YOU builds on your reputation with yourself. You start to see yourself as a person who follows through. Someone to rely on… as opposed to someone with zero follow through.
3. You get to keep seeing results. Yes, even from a less than ideal work-out… even if it’s half as long as you’d do on a good day you’re still going to benefit from a fitness, strength and body composition point of view because everything counts.
Talking of everything counts, it’s time for todays action step: it’s a super-crazy-quick routine for you to swipe for your next struggle-street day.
Its also equipment free so you have zero excuses, this is the routine to make happen on your next struggle-street day:
Here’s that routine:
1) Sumo In-Out Jump Squat (12 reps)
2) Walk-out (6 reps each leg)
3) Body Weight Get-up (12 reps total alternating legs)
4) Switch Lunge (12 reps)
5) Side Plank Leg Raise (10-20 reps each leg)
6) Pistol Squat (using side of something stable for support) (6-9 reps each leg)
7) Side Plank Oblique Crunch with Hip Dip and Toe Tap (8 reps each side)
It’s designed to be completed circuited style for 2-4 rounds. Any technique questions, please ask me in the comments below and I’ll shoot a quick video.
If you liked this you’ll also like: Smart Simple Weight Loss: Educate And Accelerate.
Thank you so much for your support! To rock even more – and share the Healthification love – just click here to zip over to iTunes and leave an honest rating and review. It’d help me out big time. With gratitude, Kate.